Oxford… Bart Ehrman’s Partner in Publishing
Oxford University Press, Inc. (OUP USA) is linked to Oxford University Press in Oxford, England (OUP UK), which is a department of Oxford University and is the oldest and largest continuously operating university press in the world.
Today, the OUP group of publishing companies constitutes the world’s largest university press, being larger than all the American university presses and Cambridge University Press combined. Worldwide, the OUP group publishes more than 6,000 new titles a year and employs approximately 5,000 people across 50 countries. As a result of its diverse, international publishing program, the “Oxford University Press” imprimatur has become familiar worldwide, standing for scholarly, educational, and research excellence and authority.
OUP USA publishes “The Lost Gospel of Judas Iscariot”
Bart Ehrman offers the first comprehensive account of the newly discovered Gospel of Judas, revealing what this legendary lost gospel contains and why it is so important for our understanding of Christianity. Ehrman, a featured commentator in the National Geographic special, describes how he first saw the Gospel of Judas – surprisingly, in a small room above a pizza parlor in a Swiss town near Lake Geneva – and he recounts the fascinating story of where and how this ancient papyrus document was discovered, how it moved around among antiquities dealers in Egypt, the United States, and Switzerland, and how it came to be restored and translated. More important, Ehrman gives the reader a complete and clear account of what the book teaches and he shows how it relates to other Gospel texts – both those inside the New Testament and those outside of it, most notably, the Gnostic texts of early Christianity. Finally, he describes what we now can say about the historical Judas himself as well as his relationship with Jesus, suggesting that one needs to read between the lines of the early Gospels to see exactly what Judas did and why he did it.
Browse Inside the book via Amazon’s browser feature.
Other books published by Oxford University Press for Bart D. Ehrman.
- The Lost Gospel of Judas Iscariot: A New Look at Betrayer and Betrayed
- Peter, Paul and Mary Magdalene: The Followers of Jesus in History and Legend
- The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption, and Restoration
- Truth and Fiction in The Da Vinci Code: A Historian Reveals What We Really Know about Jesus, Mary Magdalene, and Constantine
- A Brief Introduction to the New Testament
- The New Testament: A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings (4th Ed)
- Christianity in Late Antiquity, 300-450 C.E.: A Reader
- The Lost Christianities: The Battles for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew
- Lost Scriptures: Books that Did Not Make It into the New Testament
- The New Testament and Other Early Christian Writings: A Reader (2th Ed)
- Jesus: Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millennium
- After the New Testament: A Reader in Early Christianity
- The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture: The Effect of Early Christological Controversies on the Text of the New Testament