Are you interested in joining a Blog Book Club (the BBC)? We’re going to give one a try! This will function as a fund-raiser for the blog. This first BBC will involve three meetings over the course of three weeks, discussing one of my books and a published (unfavorable!) response to it. I will be joining participants in the third meeting for a Q&A about it all.
The first week all participants will read and discuss my book Misquoting Jesus. This is my best-selling book and probably my most controversial (which has always struck me as odd, since to my knowledge there isn’t any factual misinformation in it!) There were five books written to counter it!
The second week participants will read and discuss one of the counter-books, Misquoting Truth: A Guide to the Fallacies of Bart Ehrman’s Misquoting Jesus, by Timothy Paul Jones.
The third week everyone will join a Q & A, as we discuss the matter among ourselves, with questions from you and attempts to answer them from me.
How’s it sound? Want to come? The BBC is open to everyone who wants to come for a minimum donation of $30 (even if you come to only one of the sessions). With two provisos. FIRST, we are asking for, not requiring a contribution. If you simply can’t afford it but would love to participate, come anyway. SECOND, we are setting $30 as the minimum donation. If you think it’s worth more please feel free to go above and beyond, to your heart’s content. We encourage generosity, as a general principle.
All of the money will go directly to the charities supported by the blog. That’s our ultimate goal for the blog, to raise money for charity. Everything you can do to help will be much appreciated, and you’ll earn many stars in your crown.
The BBC meetings will happen over Zoom. The first two will be moderated by two experienced moderators, my blog assistant Diane Pittman and blog volunteer Lance Boyer, who came up with this idea and conceptualized it for us. I will be running the third myself.
We will be figuring out ways to accommodate however many people sign up, so that you can have a chance to say what you want, if you want, and to listen to what others have to say, no matter how many decide to give it a go (that’s easier on Zoom than live since we can set up break-out rooms, and so on).
For those who decide to come, we will be giving further information about how the sessions will work. Among other things, though, at the BBC:
- Participants are welcome to come to as many of the sessions as they like — hopefully all three, but hey, we all have lives…
- We will have volunteers summarize the important features in advance to get everyone on the same page
- We will have moderated interactions among participants for the first two sessions.
- I will run the third as a discussion/question-answer session. These questions are to be about the books (not about other topics of blog interest!)
- All sessions will last about 90 minutes (you can obviously leave at any point)
- We will allow participants to stay on longer if they choose
If you are interested in participating, THIS IS ALL THAT’S REQUIRED:
- Click this link to register (Do NOT indicate your interest here on the blog as a comment)
- Indicate the amount you are willing to donate
- Make the donation on the blog site itself (just go to the site, to the bottom of the landing page, and choose one of the two options for making the donation)
- Diane will send you a link to the meetings
- Start reading
The following is the schedule.
Meeting 1: Saturday Sept. 11; 3:00 – 4:30 pm (Eastern)/ Discuss Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why, by Bart D. Ehrman,
Meeting 2: Saturday Sept 18; 3:00-4:30 pm (Eastern) Discuss Misquoting Truth: A Guide to the Fallacies of Bart Ehrman’s Misquoting Jesus, by Timothy Paul Jones.
Meeting 3: Saturday Sept. 25; 3:00 – 4:30 pm (Eastern) Discussion of both books with Bart Ehrman
I very much hope you can come. If this first BBC goes well, we’ll have others like it. If it doesn’t go well, we’ll have others unlike it. I hope you can come!